The Jaycees (or Junior Chamber of Commerce) is a group of young men and women that join together to improve their lives and their communities. Our goal is to provide leadership training through community service. The Individual Development area sets the Junior Chamber apart from other organizations. While many other groups offer community service and social activities, only Junior Chamber chapters offer members the opportunity for self-improvement.
By chairing a local project, a young person can practice organization, delegation, time and resource management, public relations and motivational skills. The Jaycees also offer training programs, usually at no cost to the member, that teach these skills.
Joining the Jaycees is simple, download a membership application and return it to:
- Cape Jaycees
P.O. Box 4
Cape Girardeau, MO 63702-0004
- Or bring it to the next Jaycees Meeting.
Here are some projects that are popular and can give you a good idea about what we do:
- Christmas for the Elderly
- Cape Jaycees 2 Person Golf Scramble
- Cape Jaycee BBQ Fest
- Friends of the Park
- Trivia Night
Projects are chosen by the members, but typically fall into one of 6 overall categories: Management Development, Community Development, International Involvement, Business Development, Membership Development, and Individual Development.
Free Golf at the Cape Jaycees Municipal Golf Course, Osage Center
Membership in the Jaycees offers many benefits besides valuable leadership experience:
- Membership in a National and International organization for no extra cost.
- Social and networking opportunities.
- Publications from the US Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees magazine), the state organization (the IMPACT newspaper) and usually a local chapter newsletter.
- Money-saving opportunities on services offered by national partners like car rental, insurance, credit cards and publications.